Bring School of Ants into the classroom!
What do ants really like to eat? Explore topics of diet, food types, food quality, and ant diversity with your students. Designed by a former teacher, this three-day teaching module is a great alternative to School of Ants sampling.
- Describe diet preferences for ants by using different food types to attract ants.
- Categorize food types by the quality of nutrients that they provide.
- Quantify ant abundance based on food sources and quality.
- Understand patterns of food quality and attractiveness to ants by constructing a two-way table of food quality and number of ants present.
- [Optional Extension for Gifted Students] Identify ant diversity at each food source.